Smart Plugs For Your Home
Smart plugs are a great addition to your home. They are affordable and easy to operate, while providing great convenience. The ways to use smart plugs in your home are limitless and can include control of your lighting, appliances, devices, security cameras, internet access, devices in hard to reach places and more. Most smart plugs can be controlled via smartphone apps, but even better, you can control them through voice with smart hubs such as Alexa and Google Home.
Using Smart Plugs With Amazon Alexa
How To Connect Smart Plug To Alexa
Connecting your smart plug to Amazon Alexa is a simple and quick process. Follow these steps and you will be up and running in no time!
- Remove your smart plug from it’s original packaging.
- Plug it into the wall outlet where you would like to use it.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone (install it if you don’t already have it).
- Wait a few moments for Alexa to find your new plug.
- Tap ‘Devices’ within the Alexa device to connect to your new smart plug.
If your smart plug doesn’t show up in the Alexa app when following the instructions above, simply do the following:
- Under ‘Devices’ tap the “+” and then tap “Add Device”.
- Tap “Plug”.
- Choose the brand corresponding to your smart plug.
- Follow the on screen instructions to connect your smart plug.
If your brand isn’t listed in the Alexa app, no worries. Just a few more simple steps and you will be on your way!
- If your brand isn’t listed, choose ‘Other’ and then ‘Discover’. If you smart plug is found, follow the onscreen prompts. If not, go to the next step.
- Search the Alexa skill store for your manufacturer and add the appropriate skill to connect to your smart plug. Remember to refer to your manufacturers instructions/skill name if needed.
That’s it! Follow the steps above and you will be ready to start controlling your smart plugs via Amazon Alexa.
Recommended Smart Plugs
There are a variety of smart plugs available on for sale and the following are some of our favorites:
Amazon Smart Plug Setup Video
In case you are looking for a little additional guidance, here is a video on how to setup an Amazon smart plug. Keep in mind that the process is basically the same regardless of which manufacturer’s smart plug you end up choosing.