Last Updated on
The best smart plugs can enable you to run your home in a way that is smoother and more efficient than ever before. You can change any regular appliance into a smart one, purely by using the best smart plugs on the market in the home. Get the coffee pot ready with the touch of a button on your smartphone – you won’t regret it.
So, What’s A Smart Plug?
Do you want to be able to turn on the heating before you get home from work?
Well, now you can, and you can do it with your smartphone.
Smart plugs switch the ordinary into the extraordinary. It’s just one more step into the future of digital living when you add smart plugs to your home. It sits prettily between your device that you want to control and the outlet in the wall. You can then use an app connected to the smartphone, and away you go. There’s no longer a need to rip out all your outlets and replace them with the smart in-wall models. Smart plugs are far cheaper, and they do the same job.
What Type of Smart Plugs Are Available?
Almost all smart plugs work in the same way, but you cannot control every smart plug the same way. Most of the best smart plugs on the market are WiFi-enabled and connect to your home network. It’s these that don’t require you to buy a smart hub to control them.
On the other hand, you can get smart plugs that do need a hub, and they can be cheaper to buy. This is all because they integrate with other systems.
What To Look For When Shopping For Smart Plugs
There is no one size fits all; especially not when everyone has varying tastes. Luckily, smart plugs come in a range of designs, capabilities, and compatibility. This is why you have to consider your home and environment before you buy. Here are some of the things that you should be looking for when you’re shopping for your smart plugs:
Almost all smart plugs are for indoor use. They’re not always weatherproof, and they’re mostly white in color. The ones that you can use for outdoor use are usually black to remain discreet. Moreover, they are always clearly marked as being safe for outdoor use.
Some smart plugs need hubs, and some don’t. If you like the look of a specific brand, but you need a hub for it, that’s another expense to consider.
There are smart plugs that work with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa for voice control. Being able to switch off the lights by asking your house to do it? That’s just fun!
It’s essential to look for the power limitations of your smart plug. Most of them are able to control up to fifty appliances, but not everything is compatible with a smart plug. Some have enough power to deal with a coffee pot, but then there are others that glitch with a hairdryer. If you want to support your high-draw appliances, check the ratings for power before you buy.
When you’re shopping around for the best smart plugs, it’s good to know whether the app is any good before you buy. Research is essential, as some of the cheaper apps don’t work very well. Download the app first before you buy, and it will help you with your buying decision.
Reasons To Shop For The Best Smart Plugs
There are so many questions that you may have in mind before you buy any smart plugs. Some of the reasons that you should get one include:
- You don’t want to get out of bed at night to turn off the lights
- You may be forgetful about turning on the washer or dryer, so now you can do it remotely from work
- You’re sick of driving home on the way to work. This is mostly because you cannot remember if you turned off your iron when you do your shirts in the morning
- You hate waiting for the house to warm up in the morning and need a schedule, so you wake to a warm house
- You want to restrict TV after lights out in your child’s room
- You’d love to be able to schedule your lights for sunrise and sunset
The 5 Best Smart Plugs Reviewed
With all the above in mind, we’ve reviewed five products to get you started on your smart plug adventure!
Being able to set up dinner before you head to work is an organization. But, what is it to be able to turn on the instant pot remotely before you get home? That may be the genius of the Conico Mini WiFi Smart Plug. Do you want to be able to schedule your appliances and control them with your smartphone? Then this smart plug may be the option for you. It doesn’t just work for your meal times, either.
If you are to deal with children and social media or television in bedrooms, you can use the Conico Smart Plug. Its features always make sure that you switch off the TV off during homework time. You can even countdown to lights out on the app right before bedtime. Everyone seeks to make parenting easier, well, now you might just!
- Great with the Google Home app and the Smart Life app.
- You can use this with the IFTTT app. It allows you to automate the lights at sundown, bedtime, and when you wake up in the morning.
- Very easy to set up
- No hub required
- You can fit two in one duplex outlet without interference
- Sometimes there are flickering lights
With easy voice control, the 3Stone Smart Plug Mini makes doing the housework easy. Asking Alexa to turn on the lights as you head to the basement with your hands full is so valuable to you. Heading to bed? Ask your Google Assistant to turn off the ceiling fans and lights as you go. This smart plug has app remote control, and you can download this app easily to your smartphone. You only need to worry about having WiFi as you don’t need a subscription or a hub to install. It is so much nicer to be able to turn on the bedroom lights before I get there. With smart scheduling, I can make sure the children have their lights turned off before they go to sleep. It’s a handy smart plug, even if it isn’t the smallest of the “mini” range out there. One of the most novel ways to use it is to control the Christmas lights both inside and outside the house!
- You can schedule your lights to turn on and off
- Get the coffee scheduled to start churning while you brush your teeth
- You can use the pre-set timers to sort your lights and appliances, or you can set your own schedule
- Works smoothly with Alexa and the Smart Life app
- Energy-efficient and you can use it anywhere in the home
- Very easy to set up and use
- It would be good if this were a little smaller, as it’s not the smallest smart plug around
- The connection is a bit fuzzy, dropping out occasionally
The small and powerful Aeotec Smart Switch 6 could be the right smart plug to buy. This is mainly for those looking for something that will expand the reach of their smart plug needs. Those who want their home to be aesthetically pleasing might find the Smart Switch 6 to be the perfect match. It’s sleek look and square shape suits most home interiors. There’s something in the finish of this smart plug, too. The white finish doesn’t look cheap or stand out in a negative way. There are a lot of pros to this smart plug option. And, if it’s important for you to find a good looking smart plug with lots of features, you may be in a good place here.
- It’s a Z-Wave + certified product and designed for better range and bandwidth
- Pairing the smart switch is really easy
- The LED strip can show you how much power is being used by whichever device is currently plugged in.
- How many colors the LED switch has on is up to you; it’s customizable to you
- Design is lovely, and the LED energy lighting is cool
- Fits well into plugs and crowded power strips
- The USB charging port on the side is helpful
- Open HAB and Home Assistant compatible
- Can work with lights in the home as well as heaters and even fish tank lights
- Built-in surge protection a bonus
- Some devices can be temperamental
I like the fact that this smart plug is an FCC ETL RoHS certified smart plug. Instant trust, there! There are premium materials that make up this smart plug, so it feels great to touch, and it looks great, too. You get the added bonus of a fire-resistant smart plug with this one. If safety is a prime concern of yours, then you could well be in the right place with the Gosund Mini Smart Plug.
A lot of voice control devices will work with this smart plug; Alexa and Google Assistant being two of them. It’s so helpful to be able to control up to fifty different appliances with a free smartphone app. The Gosund Mini Smart Plug comes with that. I don’t have to worry about shutting down appliances or turning off lights when I head to bed. We didn’t need to buy a smart hub to make this smart plug work, and that was a big draw of this option.
- Easy installation process
- IFTTT compatible
- There is a scheduling feature so that you can have better convenience in the home
- You get both timer and countdown functionality to streamline the way your home runs
- I enjoy getting all the family involved and sharing the details with the “create a group” feature
- Fifty appliances in the home get support from these smart plugs
- Affordable – compared to many on the market this one is impressively affordable
- The biggest con is that it loses the internet frequently
- Sometimes the app could use some improvisation
If you are looking for a smart plug that is also a space saver, you could be in the right place. The WeMo Mini is a smaller version of the WeMo Insight, another smart plug in the WeMo range. It has the functionality of being slimmer than most other smart plugs. This makes them a very discreet option in the home. You can set the WeMo Mini Smart Plug so that your house is cold when you come home on a hot day and warm on a cold day. You could keep control of all your appliances from your phone when you are on the move. So, if you need to get your coffee pot going before you get downstairs, you may enjoy this device.
- Compact and fits in anywhere
- Works with almost all the major smart home ecosystems
- The device is smart and compatible with most appliances
- You could use the scheduling feature to program your appliances even when you’re not at home
- There is no hub required in your home, which is helpful if you’re on a budget
- Affordable option!
- The app could be temperamental and needs some improvisation
- There aren’t too many insights provided
The clear winner of the round-up is the WeMo Mini Smart Plug. It is due to the ease of use, affordability, and the fact that you don’t need to have a smart hub to run it. Close behind is the Aeotec Smart Switch 6 because of its bandwidth and range. While the other smart plugs are an option for your home, the WeMo Mini Smart Plug has the discreet feature. The scheduling features are most sought after. For those who are looking for something that does the job and looks great while doing it, this is the best smart plug.